The AARO Racing Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The AARO Racing Forum

Home of the American Automobile Racing Organization

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Similar topics
Navigation
 Forum Index
 Rules
 AARO

Latest topics
» The Random Discussion Thread (RDT) Part 18
How will you remember 2011 in motorsport? I_icon_minitimeThu May 09, 2024 12:54 pm by Jesse Pizzajarvi

» AARO Timeline (2018-Present)
How will you remember 2011 in motorsport? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2021 12:10 am by 7

» AARO FaceSpace Thread
How will you remember 2011 in motorsport? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2019 7:19 pm by NathanSmith83

» 2019 AARO Marathon Regional Tour Schedule (tentative)
How will you remember 2011 in motorsport? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2019 7:52 pm by Jesse Pizzajarvi

» Free Agency Thread (2018 Silly Season underway!)
How will you remember 2011 in motorsport? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2018 10:48 pm by NickSant15

» 2018 AARO Priority Selection
How will you remember 2011 in motorsport? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2018 12:31 am by Jesse Pizzajarvi

» 2018 AERS Race 20 - Livonia (Amp Energy Finale 200)
How will you remember 2011 in motorsport? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 30, 2018 7:47 pm by Jesse Pizzajarvi

» 2018 AMP Energy Finale 200 Pre-Race Thread
How will you remember 2011 in motorsport? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2018 7:14 pm by Jesse Pizzajarvi

» 2018 PTS Race 13 - Livonia (Trinity 150)
How will you remember 2011 in motorsport? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2018 11:16 am by FitzwaterAustralia59

» 2018 MRT Race 16 - Livonia (Marathon Finale 100)
How will you remember 2011 in motorsport? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2018 1:30 am by Jesse Pizzajarvi

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 277 on Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:19 pm
Statistics
We have 113 registered users
The newest registered user is martinbrown234

Our users have posted a total of 43279 messages in 2790 subjects
Top posters
7 (7740)
How will you remember 2011 in motorsport? I_vote_lcapHow will you remember 2011 in motorsport? I_voting_barHow will you remember 2011 in motorsport? I_vote_rcap 
Jesse Pizzajarvi (4133)
How will you remember 2011 in motorsport? I_vote_lcapHow will you remember 2011 in motorsport? I_voting_barHow will you remember 2011 in motorsport? I_vote_rcap 
DLeck6211 (3618)
Its Webzic (3206)
Tanrar (2917)
VincentGiac426 (2363)
VerizonGuy12 (1984)
kensethfan (1905)
Tyson Lautenschlager (1658)
Jrod (1642)

How will you remember 2011 in motorsport?

Go down 
+7
Alta
Jimmy46
moppenheimer
Jesse Pizzajarvi
Block Camphausen
kensethfan
11 posters
AuthorMessage
kensethfan
World Racing Legend
kensethfan

Location : Living in a box under the stairs in the corner of the basement in the house half a block away from Jerry's Bait Shop (You know the place).

How will you remember 2011 in motorsport? Empty
PostSubject: How will you remember 2011 in motorsport?   How will you remember 2011 in motorsport? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 31, 2011 12:50 am

Because we are now nearing the end of the year, I feel a topic such as this is only appropriate.

The 2011 motorsport season will be a difficult one to forget for anybody envolved with racing. While five years may not look like a long time, it was within that short interval that any driver in the IZOD IndyCar Series was killed in the act. On that fateful day of October 16, where a bright sun overlooked the pavement that was called the Las Vegas Motor Speedway, Dan Wheldon was taken from us in an eleven car crash, eleven laps into what was scheduled to be a 200 lap race. This was a man who could have taken up Dale Earnhardt and Ayrton Senna. Like the greats all three of them came to be, and while such an accident was probably bound to happen as it were, nobody expected the loss of a man who just won the greatest motorsport event in the United States, combined with the rarity of any death in motorsport in our standards. And now, coming upon the end of the year, we give him our last goodbyes.

On a more pleasant note, NASCAR will remember the 2011 Sprint Cup season as it's most competitive season to date. I'll remember it with a few defining bullet points:

- The year Kyle Busch was rightfully given what he deserved
- The year names such as Ambrose, Smith and Menard finally found victory lane
- Trevor Bayne's "win some, lose some" season
- Jeff Gordon comes back to win races like only he could.
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. loses races like only he could.
- And the year Jimmie Johnson didn't win the damned championship.

Cheers to a brand new racing season!
Back to top Go down
http://www.kensethfanracing.webs.com/
Forum Founder, Admin
Forum Founder, Admin

PostSubject: Re: How will you remember 2011 in motorsport?   How will you remember 2011 in motorsport? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 31, 2011 2:15 am

I can't remember what I didn't see.
Back to top Go down
https://awnmotorsports.forumotion.com
Block Camphausen
Racing Legend
Block Camphausen

PostSubject: Re: How will you remember 2011 in motorsport?   How will you remember 2011 in motorsport? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 31, 2011 2:21 am

The only two things I'll remember are the 2011 Indy 500 finish and that Fateful day in October at Las Vegas. Thats something that I still have trouble coming to grips with.
Back to top Go down
Jesse Pizzajarvi
Admin
Admin
Jesse Pizzajarvi

PostSubject: Re: How will you remember 2011 in motorsport?   How will you remember 2011 in motorsport? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 31, 2011 2:41 am

This was also the year we lost Marco Simoncelli, the Italian MotoGP newcomer in just his 2nd year with San Carlo Gresini. He was unique in the garage with his cheerful attitude and sense of humor, also his slight afro. We lost him on October 23, but he lives in every MotoGP fan's heart. The circuit in Misano was named after him in his honor.

Anyway, my favorite drivers finished 1st, 2nd and 3rd in their biggest races of the year in their respected series: Trevor Bayne winning the Great American Race, J.R. Hildebrand with a silver in the. Indy 500, (which painsme to this day) and Landon Cassill finishing 3rd in the DRIVE4COPD 300 in N'wide thanks to Bowyer trying and failing to win.

F1? Same old, same old. Vettel dominates again. He's becoming the next Schumi.
Back to top Go down
Block Camphausen
Racing Legend
Block Camphausen

PostSubject: Re: How will you remember 2011 in motorsport?   How will you remember 2011 in motorsport? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 31, 2011 2:43 am

Casey Lester wrote:
F1? Same old, same old. Vettel dominates again. He's becoming the next Schumi.
THE GERMANS ARE OUT TO TAKE OVER FORMULA 1! Razz
Back to top Go down
moppenheimer
#GlossumSUX
moppenheimer

PostSubject: Re: How will you remember 2011 in motorsport?   How will you remember 2011 in motorsport? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 31, 2011 3:29 am

What happened to Dan was a tragedy, and he was one of the best of the decade in Indycar...but up there with Earnhardt, the best NASCAR driver of all time, and SENNA, the best F1 driver of all time? No.

Back to top Go down
Jimmy46
Racing Legend
Jimmy46

PostSubject: Re: How will you remember 2011 in motorsport?   How will you remember 2011 in motorsport? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 31, 2011 3:56 am

This year was also the year when V8 Supercar driver Jason Richards lost his battle with cancer. He was a good driver. He was a cheerful driver.
Back to top Go down
Alta
Series Veteran
Alta

PostSubject: Re: How will you remember 2011 in motorsport?   How will you remember 2011 in motorsport? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 31, 2011 6:28 am

2011 Nascar season was fun as hell
Based Ambrose winning
Based Menard winning
Based Carpenter winning
Trevor Bayne trolling the 500
Indy 500 finish (Though i still feel horrible for Hildebrand)
Vettel confirming himself for Schumi status. Declares open season on F1 2011.
Pretty cool battle for the Cup championship
JIMMIE...LOSES, WE'RE OFF SCRIPT! WE'RE OF SCRIPT! CODE BLACK! CODE BLACK!
Kyle Busch finally getting kicked to the curb for being an a**hole.
The year that the Nascar media has reached the point of no return on their stupidity.
Some fun failure throughout the year including Kennedy, Neuenberger and others.

On a sadder note...
Losing Based Wheldon in a wreck that made that god awful Driven movie look semi-realistic ;_;
Simoncelli's dying in his horrendous MotoGP crash
Jason Richards losing battle with cancer
The late part of 2011 taking many names from the racing world. Wheldon, Simoncelli, Husemann, Richards and a few others.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How will you remember 2011 in motorsport?   How will you remember 2011 in motorsport? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 31, 2011 8:46 am

I will remember much good from the season, Bayne, Smith, Ambrose, Menard, and Carpenter with first time wins, a great championship battle involving no one named Jimmie Johnson. The Indy 500 had a great finish too, but that's overshadowed by the 16th of October, 2011. The world lost who I consider among Indycar's greatest all time: Dan Wheldon. Not only he lost his life, but many others, Simoncelli, Richards, etc. So, upon reflection, I qas quite entartained at times, but was reminded that such entertainment comes at a heavy price.
Back to top Go down
Tyson Lautenschlager
Tyson Lautenschlager

PostSubject: Re: How will you remember 2011 in motorsport?   How will you remember 2011 in motorsport? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 31, 2011 11:34 am

So much to remember.

-Trevor Bayne winning the Daytona 500. I called that at the beginning of speedweeks. Very Happy
-Ambrose, Smith, and Menard's wins.
-Ambrose finally getting his win at Montreal.
-Brad Keselowski's break out season.
-Trevor Bayne finally backing up his Daytona win with the Nationwide win at Texas.
-Reed Sorenson "winning" at Road America.
-Ed Carpenter's awesome win at Kentucky.
-What I thought was going to be an Oriol Servia win at NHMS.
-James Hinchcliffe ****ing up at Mid-Ohio and it almost paying off for him.
-VETTEL DOMINATES WITH A BILLION POLES.
-Kurt Busch losing his Penske ride.
-Kyle Busch being parked the Texas weekend. Very Happy

Unfortunately losing Dan Wheldon, Jason Richards, Rick Huseman, Marco Simoncelli and 3 members of Rick Ware Racing. I'm really upset about the Wheldon death though. Watching it live was horrifying, especially knowing he was dead as soon as he hit the wall.

It's been a season of greats and unfortunately a season of tragedies. It'll be a season to remember for years to come.
Back to top Go down
Jesse Pizzajarvi
Admin
Admin
Jesse Pizzajarvi

PostSubject: Re: How will you remember 2011 in motorsport?   How will you remember 2011 in motorsport? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 31, 2011 12:34 pm

Tyson Lautenschlager wrote:
So much to remember.

-Trevor Bayne winning the Daytona 500. I called that at the beginning of speedweeks. Very Happy
-Trevor Bayne finally backing up his Daytona win with the Nationwide win at Texas.

Unfortunately losing Dan Wheldon, Jason Richards, Rick Huseman, Marco Simoncelli and 3 members of Rick Ware Racing. I'm really upset about the Wheldon death though. Watching it live was horrifying, especially knowing he was dead as soon as he hit the wall.

It's been a season of greats and unfortunately a season of tragedies. It'll be a season to remember for years to come.

This. He was dead when he hit the catchfence POST? I thought he died like 10 minutes later or something like that, but how unlucky can you be to take A CATCHFENCE SUPPORT RAIL to the helmet in an IndyCar? Well, that's why Wade Cunningham will forever be looked down upon in IndyCar. That's why you don't hold someone down in Lights for almost 10 years and then bring him up. He had a career before, but nobody took him somehow.
Back to top Go down
DLeck6211
World Racing Legend

PostSubject: Re: How will you remember 2011 in motorsport?   How will you remember 2011 in motorsport? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 31, 2011 1:57 pm

-Trevor Bayne pulling the upset at Daytona.
-Regan Smith getting the win he deserved.
-Paul Menard showing that he is more than just a pay driver.
-Marcos Ambrose becoming a winner in the Nextel Cup series.
-Casey Les-I mean Brad Keselowski winning 2 races with a broken ankle.
-Kyle Busch being put in his place at Texas.
-Tony Stewart OMGHAXing the Chase.
-Jeff Gordon winning #85.
-Memorial Day weekend heartbreaks.
-Vettel OMGHAXing F1
-Ed Carpenter's win at Kentucky

and sadly, losing Dan Wheldon, Jason Richards, Rick Huseman, and Marco Simoncelli.
Back to top Go down
VincentGiac426
Admin
Admin
VincentGiac426

PostSubject: Re: How will you remember 2011 in motorsport?   How will you remember 2011 in motorsport? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 31, 2011 2:22 pm

Pretty much what everyone else said already. Yes, I know I'm lazy. Razz
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How will you remember 2011 in motorsport?   How will you remember 2011 in motorsport? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 31, 2011 10:31 pm

2011 was the year of Corvette and Audi triumphant over adversity at Le Mans.
Back to top Go down
Tyson Lautenschlager
Tyson Lautenschlager

PostSubject: Re: How will you remember 2011 in motorsport?   How will you remember 2011 in motorsport? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2012 2:05 pm

Casey Lester wrote:
So much to remember.

This. He was dead when he hit the catchfence POST? I thought he died like 10 minutes later or something like that, but how unlucky can you be to take A CATCHFENCE SUPPORT RAIL to the helmet in an IndyCar? Well, that's why Wade Cunningham will forever be looked down upon in IndyCar. That's why you don't hold someone down in Lights for almost 10 years and then bring him up. He had a career before, but nobody took him somehow.

Cunningham wasn't in the race.. Were you thinking of Saavedra?
Back to top Go down
moppenheimer
#GlossumSUX
moppenheimer

PostSubject: Re: How will you remember 2011 in motorsport?   How will you remember 2011 in motorsport? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2012 2:57 pm

Casey Lester wrote:
So much to remember.

Cunningham wasn't in the race.. Were you thinking of Saavedra?

Cunningham was in the race....Driving for AFS/Sam Schmidt. He and Hinch made contact to start it off. On TV they incorrectly identified him as Saavedra.

That said, Trying to blame him for Dan's death is ****ing stupid. That post reads as incredibly ignorant, unfounded, and untrue.
Back to top Go down
Alta
Series Veteran
Alta

PostSubject: Re: How will you remember 2011 in motorsport?   How will you remember 2011 in motorsport? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2012 3:44 pm

If anything should be looked down for causing his death was racing at a track that raced like Talladega but was a narrow as Bristol.
Back to top Go down
VincentGiac426
Admin
Admin
VincentGiac426

PostSubject: Re: How will you remember 2011 in motorsport?   How will you remember 2011 in motorsport? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2012 4:30 pm

moppenheimer wrote:
Cunningham was in the race....Driving for AFS/Sam Schmidt. He and Hinch made contact to start it off. On TV they incorrectly identified him as Saavedra.

That said, Trying to blame him for Dan's death is ****ing stupid.

This. No offense, Ty, but it's a bit like claiming it was Sterling Marlin's fault Dale Earnhardt died.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How will you remember 2011 in motorsport?   How will you remember 2011 in motorsport? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2012 4:59 pm

AAROdynamic426 wrote:
moppenheimer wrote:

That said, Trying to blame him for Dan's death is ****ing stupid.

This. No offense, Ty, but it's a bit like claiming it was Sterling Marlin's fault Dale Earnhardt died.
*Casey.
Back to top Go down
Jesse Pizzajarvi
Admin
Admin
Jesse Pizzajarvi

PostSubject: Re: How will you remember 2011 in motorsport?   How will you remember 2011 in motorsport? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2012 6:39 pm

Alta wrote:
If anything should be looked down for causing his death was racing at a track that raced like Talladega but was a narrow as Bristol.

Truth. IndyCar at Las Vegas = pale
Back to top Go down
Chives5150
World Racing Legend
Chives5150

PostSubject: Re: How will you remember 2011 in motorsport?   How will you remember 2011 in motorsport? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2012 9:26 pm

There were so many different reasons for the crash to start...
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/Chives5150?feature=mhee
moppenheimer
#GlossumSUX
moppenheimer

PostSubject: Re: How will you remember 2011 in motorsport?   How will you remember 2011 in motorsport? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 04, 2012 2:28 pm

If you dont want to feel like a dips***, don't act like a dips***.
Crapfest Deleted. Drop it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How will you remember 2011 in motorsport?   How will you remember 2011 in motorsport? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How will you remember 2011 in motorsport?
Page 1 of 1